Who said the Alps were just for winter sports? Summer holidays in the Samoëns mountains are truly spectacular, and there’s plenty to experience, whether you’re holidaying en famille or enjoying an adults-only escape.
The Sixt Fer à Cheval natural reserve dominates the end of the valley in which Samoëns sits. Less than 10 minutes’ drive from the luxury chalet you’ll find yourself in the stunning Cirque de Cheval, where the mountains form a magnificent horseshoe shape enclosing the valley from Italy and Switzerland.
For the energetic amongst you, there are lots of activities to choose from:
- Walking or hiking in the mountains
- Running routes
- White water rafting and Canyoning
- Rockclimbing and Via Ferrata
- Road cycling
- Mountain biking (ski lifts up but ride back down!)
- Quad biking on mountain trails
- Golf at nearby courses
- Horse riding
For those who’d rather take things a little easier, there’s still plenty on offer:
- A packed entertainment calendar in the local villages throughout the summer
- Wine tasting
- Live music to suit all tastes
- Visiting the local Wednesday market
- Bird watching
- Cultural guided tours around the local villages
- Swimming and sunbathing in the chalet’s pool or local lakes
- Practising yoga with a local teacher
- Visiting a local beauty salon for luxury treatments
- In-house massage and reflexology
- Spending a leisurely lunch in one of the many lovely restaurants
For families, both children and adults will love:
- A day’s hiking with a pack donkey
- The water slides at the local swimming pool
- Riding the SeptiTrain though the village
- The adventure ropes course at nearby IndianaParc
Ferme du Ciel luxury chalet is also ideally located for day trips to local highlights including:
- Annecy (1hr): the ‘Venice of France’, a modern lakeside city grown from the original medieval city, perfect for a day of lunch and shopping, or a boat trip on the lake.
- Yvoire (1hr): a beautifully preserved touristic medieval village on Lake Geneva, ideal for lunch and a boat excursion.
- Chamonix (1hr): a tourist haven at the foot of Mont Blanc, with a bustling atmosphere and great shopping. Take a sightseeing trip up the gondola to the Aiguille du Midi.
- Spa (1.5hrs): a lakeside Swiss health spa with series of heated pools, massage and more
- Megève (1h): a glam little ski village with designer shopping and restaurants
- Evian (1h): world-renowned lakeside spa town famous for its bottled water